Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DC-to-DC Converter Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanigator

Electrical
Dec 26, 2009
CA
I'm just going through a power electronics textbook to get up to speed in this area, even though I'm sure real-life handling of these converters is likely very different from the textbook.

And this question may sound very basic. What are the main variables of DC-to-DC converters? The inductance, capacitance, and resistance of the circuit (those that are within the physical devices and those within our control)? The switching waveforms based on the transistors and what's being fed by a microprocessor somewhere? Also, what's the importance of equivalent circuit modeling in real life, or is this something mentioned on the datasheet of a certain chip?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stanigator said:
What are the main variables of DC-to-DC converters?
How long is a piece of rope?

The main variables are whatever you wish them to be based upon what parameters you're trying to fit. If you want a better explanation, you'll have to provide more detail on what you're after and why.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The simple answer is similar to Lincoln's supposed answer about how long his legs were; long enough to reach the ground. The variables are determined by the requirements, as is in any design. You start with output voltage, output current, ripple, etc., and they result in a narrow range of component values that satisfy the minimum requirements.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

First determine how much power you want to transfer, isolated or not, then input and output current/voltage ripple is acceptable.
That will determine switching frequency and thereafter the topology, core and capacitor sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back