Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

De-magnetizing a Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinocu

Electrical
Mar 17, 2004
CA
What is the best and easiest way to de-magnetize the core of a 7.5MVA 34.5/25 kV transformer. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, actually this is why I want to de-magnetize, I was doing the Doble tests on the transformer, and I didnt get the characteristic High-Low-High on my excitation test, so Doble recommended I de-magnetize the transformer and try again. Thanks

Although the method I'll describe may not be practical to do. It explains a proceedure to accomplish demagnetization.

"Energize the transformer no load, and then gradually reduce the voltage to zero. The core will be demagnetized."

Good Luck

I have never demagnitized a Power transformer but I have demagnitized CT's by doing just what Reactorman said. Ramp up voltage to the transformer and then ramp it back down to zero. When I do this with CT's I usually do it during the excitation test. I ramp up the voltage on the secondarys until the CT saturates and then I ramp the voltage back down to zero to demagnitize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back