Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deadman anchor of Guy tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitin36537

Civil/Environmental
Feb 16, 2001
IN
For one of the project we need to design dead man anchor block foundation for guy anchor. Maximum tension is 270 KN in guy wire. We have to design for 405 KN tension. Guy slope with horizontal plane is 54 Degree.

After deciding shape of dead man anchor(3.5m * 0.45m * 0.45 m )and Foundation depth ( 3.0 m ) how to calculate uplift capacity of foundation ?. Is there any book / code available for reference ?

For open cast foundation we normally consider Weight of Earth volume frustum + Weight of foundation as uplift capacity of foundation. Can I consider same procedure here also?

For open cast foundation for calculating earth frustum we are considering 20 degree angle of repose and 1600 Kgf/m^3 as soil weight.

Thanks all

Nitin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I normally use the approach you have suggested, ie the weight of the concrete block and the overlying soil. The 20 degrees sounds conservative for a granular or cohesive soil.

I am not aware of any "code" for guy anchors other than the NESC in the US.

We use helix screw anchors for our guys and do not use a dead man. We did use an old tree temporarily burried perpendicular to the line to dead end the wires during construction once. They didn't bury it very deep since it was just the stringing load. A big rain storm came and the ground got wet. The soil gave up the dead man and we lost several structures before the cascade stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back