Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deaerator Design and Operation Report Making Help

Pavan Kumar

Chemical
Aug 27, 2019
CA
Pavan Kumar (Chemical)(OP)3 Oct 24 20:26
Hi All,

I am writing a report to share Knowledge about Design and Operation of Deaerators. I have gone through some very insightful threads in this forum on this topic such as the one shown below. I know there are two types of Deaerators

(i) Spray Type
(ii) Tray Type

Since I am making schematic drawings for each type of Deaerator and describe how it operates in detail, the maximum turn down ratio it can operate at, advantages, cost and installation considerations. I need some help with references in this regard. For the process design aspect I am using the following link from Spirax Sarco and will do an example calculation to illustrate the design. I think the calculation illustrated in this link are good for atmospheric design too.

In particular I am not clear about how exactly a Horizontal Spray Type Deaerator performs a good deaeration operation. I understand there is Spray Nozzle that sprays water into the Pre-Heating and Partial Deaeration section where it contacts with the Steam rising from the sparger pipe.

1. This is like steam contacting a fine mist. My question is does this provide enough contact area like in the Counter Flow Tray Type Deaerator.
2. The partially deaerated water then flows across the baffle into the Deaeration section where the water is heated with steam bubbling from the sparger pipe with sparger holes at the bottom of the tank. Is this baffle all the way to the bottom so that the water has to flow over it to get to the Deaeration section?
3. Now again with steam bubbling like this how does it get good contact area to thoroughly scrub and deaerate the water.
4. I know Spray Deaerators also Deaerate up to 7 ppb O2 requirement and are used when it is operated at the Design Load. How does the steam sparger design effect the Deaeration operation and how does it adjust with the variation in the loads?.
5. Is the steam flow regulated by the operating temperature in the tank?.
6. In case of Tray type of Deaerator is the steam flow regulated by the temperature of the deaerated water in the storage section?.

I also see that there is a Vertical Spray Type Deaerator also. I have seen on the Kansas City Deaerator website. I want to understand this with sketches and to illustrate.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Back