Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dealing with contact of eroding surfaces (similar to example problem 2.1.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke720

Materials
Mar 26, 2013
US
I am modeling a high velocity impact where both the impacting part and the substrate are eroding. My problem is similar to the example problem 2.1.4 but I am having trouble getting it to behave in the same way.

The example problem says that I need to use general contact, which I am, to define the surfaces as element-based surfaces that can adapt to the exposed surfaces of non failed elements. My question is how do I get abaqus to adapt the contact definitions to the non-failed surfaces? Currently when the first layer of elements fail, the rest of the part moves through the surface as though there are no contact conditions defined at all and the impacting part and the substrate are 'superimposed' in three dimensions, if you know what I mean.

To state my question in a slightly different way, is there some option that I have missed to allow abaqus to adjust the surface definitions to account for the failure of the elements on the surface that I initially defined?

I hope my question is clear, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back