Dealing with multiple job changes on Resume. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech5656

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2014
US
Dear all,

I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2012 and since then I have undergone six job changes with my most recent position lasting 10 months. Currently, I am two months into my current role and am actively seeking a new opportunity.

The primary motivation for my job search is to engage in more technically challenging work and to secure a position with a higher compensation package. I am contemplating strategies to present my employment history, including the option of omitting one job from my resume and extending the duration of my previous position.

I am seeking guidance on the most effective approach to navigate the job market given my history of multiple job changes. As hiring managers, how would you recommend addressing such a profile and what strategies would you find most compelling in a candidate?

Thank you for your insights and assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, do not omit any work history. Be honest with potential employers. If you are pursuing more pay and challenging work, tell them exactly that. There is nothing wrong with wanting a specific path for your career. Just remember, there will be plenty of less exciting projects between the high profile and challenging projects.

Yes, do not omit work history, and do not lie about job duration.
Perhaps in a cover letter explain some of the reasons for the frequent job changes. Six jobs in 12 years is not that bad, though the recent 10 month and 2 month durations are a bit troubling; be ready with good explanations for these.
Why did you take your current job if it does not meet your challenging and pay goals?

Go contract.

With that sort of past history you often won't get to first base.

Presenting yourself as a contractor who is interested in working on a specific project then won't hang around cluttering up the payroll is a lot more appealing to an employer than someone who constantly seems to be flitting about looking for the next challenge / bigger pay packet. Depends o the role, but many companies don't want to invest time and money on someone who seems to have no interest in returning some of that time and money in working for their company.

To move a couple of times in the first 5 years is fair enough, but after that you need to choose carefully and make it 5,6,7 years unless the company goes bankrupt or makes you redundant, but then people wonder why you were chosen in place of someone else...

Yes write a covering letter, but expect quite a bit of pushback unless you can attach some glowing references from previous employers.

Gaps and doctoring periods will come back to bite you at some point.

Don't know what it is like in the US, but in the UK now, previous employers are very reluctant to provide any information other than factual - i.e. dates of service, job title, no of days off sick and salary. so nothing will get written down about your actual performance.

Also talk to recruiters, even though they are the on a par with Estate agents (realtors), they can work for you to get you into places you can't. Then it's up to them to sell the client your back story.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LI - do you rank recruiters and estate agents above or below used car salesmen and lawyers? LOL.

Actually, no, recruiters do not work for you, they work for their job placement commission from the employer. Never think otherwise. But with eyes wide open going thru a recruiter might be a good approach.

I guess I've lived a charmed life...

During my 49+ years working in the field of engineering, I've only had two employers. Granted, I held different positions over the years, 14 years with the first company and just over 35 years with the second. And despite working for only two companies, I'm currently collecting pensions from three (it's a long story).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

SWC,

Seems I wasn't far away....

Unsurprisingly, the majority of Brits (78.1%) felt politicians were the least trustworthy. Journalists (37.7%) were second and car salesmen (27.4%) came in third.
The survey of 1,200 UK workers reveals that these professionals are considered untrustworthy due to their lack of morals (66.4%), greed for money (62.1%), unreliability (56.5%) and irritating nature (26.6%). The list is as follows:

Politicians (78.1%)
Journalists (37.7%)
Car salesmen (27.4%)
Telesales (23.6%)
Bankers (22.8%)
Paparazzi (21.6%)
Estate agents (14.6%)
Recruiters (13.6%)
Lawyer (8.7%)
Bailiffs (6.7%)

I'm going to be honest with you; what you're describing is what we call job-hopping and your "engage in more technically challenging work" comment can be read quite negatively.

You would have to do a bang-up job of convincing me that you're not simply easily distracted by squirrels.

Getting bored at two months also suggests that if you were seriously looking for challenging work, your spidey-sense failed miserably. It looks to me that seeking higher compensation appears to your primary motivation, barring any further information, and that's also a red-flag.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

John,

I'm in my early 30s but it sounds like that used to be the norm. Get in somewhere, get a pension and you're set. None of that exists anymore and raises are minimized, so the norm is to hop at least every 2-3 years depending on industry. I'm relatively lucky as well and haven't had to change quite that often.

Agreed on being honest and including every employer.

The OP's challenge is that it typically takes 2-3 years to achieve a basic level of technical competence for a given niche, nvm real expertise. Unless there's a ton of crossover/similarities between roles, hiring managers are likely to wonder about their technical competence. I job-hop within a few related niches about every five years bc of this.

In engine development we used to joke with juniors that if they worked hard, in 20 years they'd be able to design half an engine.

You also list TWO "primary motivations"....

You really actually need to decide which ONE is the primary. IMHO.

RVA, Different industries and roles do work differently now and a lot of the old work here for 30+ yrs is no longer relevant for sure.

But 10 months then 2 months is not going to help in getting a role where you would assume the employer is thinking of min 5 yrs or poss 10 before someone gets itchy feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back