Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dealing with "Bulk Items" in the bill of materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhearnden

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2012
AU
I was interested to know how other people may be dealing with bulk items, such as paint, grease and oil, in their bills of materials on drawings in CATIA. I want to be able to show an item like grease, called up in a bill of materials, but with a quantity of "A/R" (as required). This is a relatively easy task in a package like ProE.

If I create a dummy CATPart to represent grease, then there are two problems. 1, CATIA will assign it a balloon number (which I don't want for this type of item). 2, CATIA will show it as a quantity of 1.

My only soluition so far has been to create a manual table that i place ontop of the automatically generated bill of materials table, so it looks like it is part of the BOM. This is not ideal as it is not automatic, lends itself to manual input errors, and we cannot export the BOM to an excel that also includes the bulk items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back