Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear All, I came across a clarif

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET1983

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2007
IN
Dear All,

I came across a clarification / query on one of the Y-type strainer used for the seawater services.
The thing is, the body of the strainer is Cast steel with internal EPOXY coating to protect from corrosion, as the service is seawater. but the drain plug on the strainer, which is 3/4" of size, the thread cannot be EPOXY coated, and how to ensure the 3/4" plug for its resistance against corrosion. Note that, at this stage, changing the drain point from 'Plug' to 'Flanged' connection is not possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MickMc

Thanks. Is there any other way, other than changing the material of the plug, we can resist the corrosion on the thread of the plug.??probably, any corrosion resistant tape would work here>>

ET1983,

The thread itself is not the problem as it should not be in contact with the fluid, I would have thought changing plug to corrosion resistant alloy is simplest solution.

Thanks MickMc,

I completely Agree to you on the stand that, the thread will in no way be in contact with the service fluid, however, the TEFLON tape which is winded on to the threaded joints (Normal Industrial Practice), will that itself be a good corrosion resistant??? [bigears]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back