Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear all. I need to convert all li 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

armcorp

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2002
MY
Dear all.
I need to convert all line segments to be a single polyline
Got so many data.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming your working in Autocad, just type "polyedit" and it will prompt to select a polyline - click on one of the line segments. The program will recognize this as a line segment not a poly line and ask if you'd like to turn it to a polyline - enter "Y" for yes. Now there are several prompts one of which is "J" for join. enter "J" and select all other line segments hit enter twice. Now all of the individual line segments will be joined.

Q... is on the money, and remember
1) All line segments must be in the same plane (some jokers use the z coordidnate, there is a way the force all z coordinates to zero but I forgot how)
2) All line segments must meet at endpoints (fillet with radius=0)
3) If you have two line segments, exactly overlaying each other and you join both of them to the polyline by using "crossing", both segments will be joined and your polyline will go from point "A" to point "B" and back to "A" again.
4) You might consider setting "osnap" to endpoint and intersection and just quickly retracing the line.

I do believe that KP1 is incorrect. The pedit command does allow for conversion of lines into plines. If all lines are not exactly endpoint to endpoint then the multiple pline option may be employed. For Acad2000 or newer, that is pedit, m, then select all the lines. Under the join command it will ask for a "fuzzy" distance.

I have used pedit on Acad 2000 many times to convert lines to polylines. The part about different z coordinates and different end points even 0.0001 inches off can drive you insane though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back