Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear all please i need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZLAM21

Petroleum
Aug 12, 2020
IT

Dear all
please i need your help
How to determine duration of the governing fire in order to size fire fighting tank and supply the water demand for the required duration
BEST REGARDS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well first you need to decide what the local codes and regulations say.

If none then I would adopt the NFPA suite of codes.

And then employ a technical safety consultant who is familiar with fire risk and determination of fire fighting requirements.

Supply of water makes a HUGE difference. If you have none then it's normally one hour - just enough to allow everyone to get out before the plant burns to the ground.

Next to a river or the ocean is a different story.

It might only be one sentence to ask, but it could easily be six months work to give you a reply....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi,
You need to talk to your fire brigade , they should be helping you . A call to your insurance broker is advisable .
You need to consider how far is your facility from the fire brigade and availability of water ( flow and pressure) .
I'm aware of projects in Asia where the water storage capacity is about 4 hours , let say 2000 m3 with fire fighting pumps pumps operating @ 500 m3/h .
Good luck
Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back