Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Debugging tips for EPANet model requested- error node keeps changing trial to trial...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KootenayKid

Civil/Environmental
Feb 10, 2022
CA
I'm trying to run a gravity-fed water system for a luxury RV park I'm working on through EPANet to determine pressures and velocities in the lines. But I am having some issues getting the model to run. I brought the nodes and line work in as a DXF (with elevations), added the tank that is up on the mountain (at the right elevation and dimensions), and added trial base demands to the system with the goal of just getting the system to run before tweaking in the demand.

I ran from the tank to the tie-in point on its own before bringing the full model in and that ran successfully. Now I'm getting "system ill-conditioned at node" errors each time I run it. But once I try to address the error and re-run, the node with the error just moves to somewhere new... I can't see a pattern in why those nodes are selected. I have gone through and checked the crossing points to make sure nodes are connected to pipes, removed some elements from the model that seemed to be causing issues (mainly stubs for fire hydrants), and tried simplifying the geometry of pipes to cut corners as well as joining dead ends together. I looked at the nodes in table view to see if there were any weird elevations that popped out as obvious errors and have made sure that the default pipe size has been changed for all elements. I tried a range of pipe sizes as well (from 100mm to 1000mm dia.) to see if that had an impact but it did not... I tried changing the water elevation in the tank, adding a second tank at a higher elevation, and changing the tank to a reservoir to see if that would help but it didn't make a difference.

I'm at a loss as to where to go from here- this is my first "big" EPANet model attempt for a project and I'm bashing my head against my keyboard. I expected it would just run nicely after some basic debugging, having tested the sections independently before loading in the full DXF line work.

I've attached my INP file below for anyone who may have some genius suggestions to make this beast run.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=273eae31-0c52-45d2-8b1e-b0f780e3f375&file=EPANet_file_for_debugging_assistance.NET
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back