Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Decifering the European Rating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi folks I work at a lighting manufacturer in the US and I am looking for the meaning of the european rating symbol IP and what that really means in terms of wet location. In other words, how much moister can it handel? Are there different levels of the IP rating?
If someone could explain this to me, or direct me to where I might find this information, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Please reply to jdhirsch@seagulllighting.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear SeaGull,

I hope the following answer could help to clarify your questions.

Q1-Meaning of the european rating symbol IP.
A1-IP stand for "Ingress Protection".

Q2-How much moister can it handle?
A2-Check the following Standard and references bellow:
1- NEMA Std 250. (See Appendix A) Enclosures for Electrical Equipment (1000 Volts Maximum)
2- IEC Std 60529: Classification of Degree of Protection by Enclosures

Q3-Are there different levels of the IP rating?
A3- Yes. The IP rating system classifies the degree of protection from solid objects and liquids afforded by electrical equipment and enclosures similar to NEMA.
Beware that NEMA standards meet or exceed IEC standards; therefore, you could convert from NEMA to IEC, but the conversion does not work in the opposite direction.

REFERENCES:

The standard for IP rating test and applying IP levels is EN 60529 or IEC 60529. If you have a Panel components Corp. catalog, there is a quick reference in the back on the different levels. Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@enorthhampton.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Look in the Technical Section of a Hoffman Enclosures catalog. There is a fair explanation of the IP system and an appproximate cross-reference table between IP and NEMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back