Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Decking Slab Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yug Maharjan said:
Decking Sheet Slab Design

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this term. Are you talking about one of the following?

a) Steel ribbed decking that is spot welded to the beams below. If so, then for gravity loads or for lateral (diaphragm) behavior?
b) Concrete Slabs.
c) Composite beam systems. Where you have steel decking connected to steel beams below using studs, which acts compositely with the beams once the concrete slab has been poured.
d) A non-composite beam system where you have steel decking and a topping slab (which is NOT designed to be composite with the beam system).

I'm guessing it's one of the last two. If so then my answer would be the following:
1) Composite beam systems have been part of the SAFE program for a few years now. It basically has the same features as ETABS related to composite beams.... It's just limited to gravity design and doesn't have the lateral design capabilities.
2) If it's a non-composite slab system, then I believe the design is normally done by hand based on span limits given by the deck manufacturer, or as a reinforced concrete slab ignoring the steel deck portion.

I haven't personally done this in ETABS. But, when I've designed structures like this before, my process was the following:
i) Steel Decking was based almost completely on span tables from the decking manufacturer based on the weight of concrete and thickness of the slab.

ii) I don't think I've ever designed a concrete slab (spanning between steel beams) that was poured into an un-shored steel, non-composite decking. The deck had to be sufficient to carry that load without any help from the wet concrete. Therefore, I would think that merely adding temp / shrinkage steel to the topping slab would be sufficient.

Maybe someone else can comment. But, I don't really see a calculation that needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back