Deep and Wide Trenching in Swamp Land

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarekzad

Industrial
Aug 24, 2018
SA
We are doing 5.3 Km Excavation for a 150 meter width trench and 35 meter depth
the area is swamp (called sabkhah in KSA) and we are looking for a marshy land consultation and equipment selection

the volume of earth overburden is colossal as it is 20 Million M3, and the soil is silty sand

we are sure that our classical fleet of excavators and trucks will be bogged there. so we are looking for a soultions.

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There’s not enough information to give great guidance. But in general, I’ve seen access roads built out of triaxial geogrid, filter fabric, large-diameter crushed stone, and crane mats. In areas where the road has to pass flowing water, HDPE pipes filled with crushed stone and steel road plates on top worked.

Maybe research companies in Louisiana? I would guess a few contractors deal with those conditions regularly.

35m deep?

What do your bore holes say?

What's keeping up the sides of this vast hole in the ground?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You did not provide alot of information here. Having experience in KSA , my preliminary points are ;

- The open pit study shall be carried by an geotechnical group having local experience,
- As a starting option; open pit excavation with side slopes may be considered,
- the ground water shall be lowered with well point system , ( multi stage well point system )
- the sides with benching should be considered .

When you write ' multi stage well point system '' and search the web, one of the outcomes ;

multistage-well-pump_fcmla8.jpg

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Dear HTURKAK

it is good to know that you are in Saudi Arabia, please let me know how I can contact you. and of course i have to say thanks for your contribution on this thread

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

Dear OP , first of all I am not in KSA .Just worked several years at 80's and 90's and now i am retired eng. for several years .
Pls read the forum rules . The members of this forum have code names that is nameless, faceless engineers. You are free to accept or ignore the responds and proposed solutions .

If this is a real project , it is a very interesting thread, please keep us involved for your final decision and please share what you can ....

Good luck.

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Your earthmoving project is in a swamp. Are you excavating 35m of sand below the water table or are you removing an immense amount of sandy soil protruding above the swamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back