Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep Beam Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd2ny

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2008
US
Does anyone know of an alternate to using the Strut and Tie model for deep beams?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is one.

There was a post a week or two ago in this forum regarding strut and tie. Look it up- it has several good resources.

You can use Elasticity to solve for deep beams but if you're not familiar with it, it's probably best to use commercial FEA assuming you have knowlege of those capabilities.

Generally speaking the Whitney stress block and linear stress strain are not valide for deep beams. You can follow ACI references and with proper detailing achieve the necessary results. Key areas are the achorage zones for reinforcing into the walls or columns that frame/support the deep beam. Otherwise the majority of the reinforcing is similar to that of a retaining wall stem. You will find that you won't get bundles of reinforcing in the tension areas of a deep beam as you might expect for a conventional beam.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

The PCA or ACI used to have a publication on deep wall beams (30+ years ago). I don't have a copy anymore... but it may be out there...

Dik

I personally think the strut & tie method is conceptly simple and straight forward, but practically confusing because lack of clarity by code (many years ago I used Canadian code, which was better than the first issuing by the ACI - in a later date).
We used to treat the deep beams as regulars but to add more facial bars (Horiz & vert), and use the minimum for the flexural as permitted by the earlier ACI. I think that old designs worked, never get a call complaints about it. But, I think the strut & tie method would save some steel, and make the design more enjoyable (for creative engineers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back