Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep Cryogenic Processing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahas

Mechanical
May 2, 2005
US
Hello.

I am looking for information regarding deep cryogenic tempering. I have found plenty of information on the web, but most is by someone tring to sell either equipment or the service. I am looking for unbiased information. It may even be in the form of your experience using it.

I am an engineer with many years experience in the machine tool industry and am cosidering offering this service to our customers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Carurize. Thank you for the information.

Does anyone have copies of the actual results of the independent studies that have been done? I would like to get a copy of these for my research. Please see some examples of some research I gathered from another post:

(1). A recent research project for hte US Army Aviation and Missile Command performed by Illinois Institute of Technology proved that cryogenic processing (it is not a tempering process) doubled the life of gears.

(2). Research by Dr. Yuntian Theodore Zhu and Jianyu Huang at Los Alamos National Laboratory proved the process real, but did not explain its work.

(3). The University of Trento, Trento Italy also recently published a paper on the wear resistance of H13 and M2 steels that were subjected to cryogenic processing.

(4). A Masters Thesis was published by a student at Illinois Institute of Technology last fall that gave independent, unbiased proof that something is happening in the sub-microstructure of the metals.

(5). Dr. David Collins has published numerous reserarch papers on the subject. .

(6). Johns Hopkins University just published a paper on the use of cryogenic processing on copper.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Frederick.

Do you think I could get my hands on any copies of the reports and presentations, etc?

If so, let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Frederick.

I would like copies or info on this subject too. The University of Trento info sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks for any help it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back