Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep Foundation Group: Load Distribution Equations based on Section Properties (Stiffness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDYIGuy

Structural
Oct 9, 2015
US
Hello,
I am inquiring if anyone knows of any guidance that simplifies (with conservative equations) the complex soil structure interaction of deep foundation groups? I am looking for guidance that has hand calculation equations for the distribution of the vertical & lateral loads on the deep foundation cap, to the individual deep foundation head. These equations need to be based on stiffness or section properties of the individual deep foundation members. I'm investigating the use of much stiffer reinforced drilled pier foundations to be added as a retrofit to a timber pile group that is deficient. The equations will be utilized to check a SAP model, that has Non-linear soil springs from Ensoft LPILE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One approach would be to start with the method below and alter it to account for pile stiffness as I've shown at the bottom.

Capture_01_uxd82k.jpg

Capture_01_bvevg4.jpg

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I'm not familiar enough with the underlying theory to have a meaningful preference I'm afraid. I typically accept my geotechnical engineer's recommendation in that regard.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back