Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deep-Pool Hydroponics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatBrener

Agricultural
Jul 25, 2001
US
I am currently developing a large scale deep-pool hydroponics facility at an urban site. Deep-pool hydro has also been termed "raft" or "floating" systems. I am curious to exchange information with anyone who might have some experience with this type of design. It was developed originally in Arizona by Jensen in the early 80s, but it has its roots in traditional Japanese water culture. From my research not many commercial hydro operations are making use of it. Our projection is to construct five 2000 square foot reservoirs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This fits the info i have been searching for, and i do
agree that hydro is in need of greater development. My
idea is to research this subject and advance micro
power generation , incorporate fuel cell use.
Thanks for making this type of renewable energy source
recognized, and i am going to keep searching for
more information on
this.
A.C.D.I

I wrote this e-mail a while back, and we have made lots of strides towards the development of this project. What are you working on?

We looked into the use of micro-turbine use, but didn't find that the economics worked out (even with the co-generation) on the scale that we work at (we redevelop small urban plots in blighted neighborhoods for commercial farming of high-endproduce, normally at less than 1 acre per lot.)

reference to hydroponics;
I am researching renewable energy developement. And found a web site @
waterturbine.com. This shows a photo of a micro-hydro tubine called the
nautilus. I am intersted in finding out how this is being used, and how to build
a system that does not require a river or high head drop. If water flow can be
recirculated without consuming power being generated.
I have an idea that requires a water reservoir, and a different design. This calls
for the advice and direction from other engineers already experienced with related
systems. And the interest in finding the means of experimenting, and thanks
for the reply.

This is an intriging topic. I am very interested in sustainable development in agri and in industry... (We all need our planet to be sustained, right?) I had neber heard of this deep pool hydro before. What are the benefits? It would seem that there is more investment to get started vs. typical "flow thru" systems, or small tanks. Admittedly, I am fairly green at this - any education you give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Oso Ingeriero.
bearsfeat@yahoo.com

I have this idea about developing renewable energy systems. Started with
learning about "fuel cells" that run off of hydrogen or methanol. It is obvious that solar and wind are more known. But my reresearch has turned up evidence that hydro power is currently gaining alot more interest. Its old tech, still has old issues for not being exploited, mainly because traditional prodution used rivers and dams. Why not apply new concepts, on a smaller scale.

AKA as A.C.D.I engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back