Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default work layer in a blank template

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMalone

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2003
ES
Hello all,
Could be possible to create a new part with a blank template and change the default work layer to other than 1?

I mean, I want to start a new part without any template (blank template) and make the default work layer the layer 200. Some times I forget this and I need to do additional job.

I have been searching for a customer default for the work layer but found anything.

Thanks
Frank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe you could prepare a new part derived from a blank part but with the work layer set to 200, by instance. Then you could put it in the new part template dialog as your preferred template.

Best regards (un saludo), Frank.

You can't alter the so-called 'blank' template since there is no actual part file to edit. The 'blank' template is created on-the-fly using the settings in the Customer Default file, of which there is no option to set the default Work Layer.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

There's more to be learned on this forum than just the technical side of things. The system has user intent built into it and one empty layer seems on the face of it to be as good as any. You can certainly create your own templates with a range of inbuilt default settings including the saved work layer. But just to humour me would you be able to let us know how you came to settle on layer 200? There's nothing wrong with the idea it just seems like an odd request.

Cheers

Hudson

Hi Hudson, the layer 200 or 240 or whatever else it doesn't matter, the point I am searching for is if I can control this default layer in customer defaults. This is not particulary useful for me, but a guy asks me for this feature in order to not design at the begining in the wrong layer if he forgets to change layer. I think due to drawing templates.

The solution is clear, using modeling templates, very easy solution, but there are guys out of here very fussy. :)

Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back