Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycon73

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hi,

I would like to create a model that works similar to a model with a Part Family Table in it when adding it into an assembly. However, I want to be able to enter some variable dimensions, such as ID, OD or Hole Dimension Angle for a part & based off of these entries, the rest of the model can be created.

Is there a way to have a dialog box come up (or something) when adding in a component into an assembly that allows the user to enter the variable dimensions, then have that specific model variation be made?

I'm trying to avoid having the user from having to go into the seed part file & manually find the specific expression within sketcher or expressions & accidentally corrupt the model.

Thanks

Jason Misztal
Fuel and Utility Systems
UG Designer

Goodrich Corp.
Rome, NY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Deform Part might be an answer to your situation. The creation Wizard can be started under Tools / Define Deformable Part...

With the right parameters set up, the user adding the component to their assembly will be allowed to input specific and controlled data that will change the shape of the component.

Gary Ashby
Designer

Hi 4Mranch1 & plmexchange,

Thanks for the feedback. Seems both of these could work. I think I want to use the UDF, but I forgot where to go to create it. Where do I go to create a UDF?

I found the Define Deformable feature & will figure out on how to use this to see if this is suitable for my needs...

Any other suggestions are welecomed.

Jason Misztal
Fuel and Utility Systems
UG Designer

Goodrich Corp.
Rome, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back