Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Define right model and test design approach for colour measurements of plastic flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

01Mercy

Materials
Apr 4, 2012
NL
Hi all,

I am looking for the right model and right test desing to use for the following case:

I want to measure the colour of a flake material on a colour measuring device. There can be x (to be defined) different colours in the material. Standard material is blank.

Each colour I can measure in a dillution serie to make a calibration line for that specific colour y = ax + b

For multiple colours I than would use y = b0 + a1x1 + a2x2....

This approach however does not hold since within the measurement the different colours interfere with each other. I.e. I can make a perfect line with green and seperate one with red but if they are together in one sample they will give a yellow signal in y and my model will not hold.

So basically I would like to know what model I could use for this and what test design approach I can best use to feed the model with data.

Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The question is what are you attempting to get out of the measurement? Your model does not work because that's not really how colors work. I suggest that you read the Wikipedia article to start with: followed by the article on color space as currently used in most industries: and The latter will lead to you to look at commercial colorimeters.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back