Defining Datums Between Casting & Machine CAD Models to Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDesigner09

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2010
US
Hi,

I would like to get some clarification between the usage of CAD datums (used within CAD applications such as Unigraphics NX, ProE, etc.) used to create various CAD models or turbine blades & between GD & T Datum features.

In many instances, there are 3 CAD construction datums used to define a center of an airfoil, root serration or mid-section of a root.

Also, in many instances, on the Casting or Machine Drawings, I see these same CAD construction datums as the primary, secondary & tertiary GD & T Datums - See example picture.

Is this appropriate usage of CAD datums & GD & T datums? If not, what would be the appropriate usage of GD & T datums, particularly between Casting model & a machine CAD model to display on drawings.

Any examples would be appreciative.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

REDesigner09, GD&T forum is probably the best place for this type of question, though as you didn't get a detailed answer there I understand you casting the net wider.

I suggest you ask folks from here to post over there to keep the discussion in one place, is thread1103-297160 the relevant place? The wording of the OP looks familiar but doesn't quite match the thread I link.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hi Kenat,

Yes, I did post a similar question on the GD & T forum. I was hoping to get some Aerospace Engineers perspectives or clarifications on this topic here because I'm working with Turbine Blades.

Thanks

REDesigner09 a number of folks over in GD&T have backgrounds in aerospace but like I said, I appreciate you trying to cast a wider net as you didn't get the full response you were looking for.

However, to stay on the right side of site managements double posting rules I suggest you encourage anyone from here to post over in your original thread.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back