Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definition for Pad-Ready Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

E320

Geotechnical
Jan 15, 2010
US
Has anyone seen a generic definition for a "pad-ready site" that does not reference a specific site grading specification? I have been asked what could be the expectation for a site that is marketed as "pad-ready."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would interprete this to mean a house/commercial bldg. that has the subgrade (fill)in place and at finish grade to begin excav. for plumbing and slab beams for slab placement.

Hard to define...means different things in different places and different applications. Could mean finished grading, could include or exclude final compaction, could mean cleared and grubbed only....it is what you define by contract.

I have not seen a definition, but would agree with drumchaser, rough grading and drainage is done which includes compaction if fill was placed. Only fine grading such as required for landscaping is left to do. Can begin site utilities and structures work.

. . . and there's some reference to bearing capacity and subgrade support for industrial slabs on grade (if it's an industrial building for instance). Imagine a pad ready site in an industrial park where you have to use site improvement to obtain a warehouse slab for 250 or 500 psf loading conditions. Not much of a pad ready site if the use of wick drains and surcharge is still required, eh?

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

No, a pad ready site has the fill in place and prepared for fine grading. I've never heard of pad ready where the rough grading plan is not implemented.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Rural development: Pad-Ready = site untouched but septic testing has been completed and deemed suitable for building.

Mass Grading Development: Pad-Ready = fill placed, rough grading completed AND tested! Sewer and water hook-ups in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back