Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEFINITION OF CONTACT AS A BOUNDARY CONDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

3JC

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2010
PE
Dear collages,

I would like to model something similar to a base plate, and I want to define the contact as a non-linear condition (springs: stiffness in traction =0, stiffness in compression = infinite). How could I model this in ABAQUS?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Juan José

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear collages,

I have been working during the week-end on this topic. I think a very good option would be define an Interaction (as a foundations) in the hole surface, but after to do this I think that the stiffness coefficient is the same for tension and compresion (as I mentioned, my intention is to define a non-linear spring: 0 when the surfaces tend to separate and infinite in the other case). Could you give more information? Thank you very much.

Regards,

jJ

Dear rstupplebeen,

Sorry, but I employed a nomenclature used typically in steel design. I send to you a link with the problem that I want to model (in the middle of the web there is a description about "Tension and copression only spring"):

I have used the linear foundation interaction from Abaqus, but it defines a rigidity for both compression and tension.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Juan José

Dear collages,

Please, some days ago I made this question, but I in this moment I'm trying how to define this stiffness. I have a question: it could be possible to define a non-linear stiffness (compresion=infinity, traction=0) in nodes of elements in one direction with the objective to define the contact.

Thank you very much for your attention,

Juan José

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back