Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

definition variable name containing variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkrell

Structural
Nov 17, 2010
US
Anyone know of a workaround so a definition name can contain undefined variables? I'm attempting to have a user input a ratio and have the variable name appear as the ratio of the two previously undefined variables (i.e. Mn/Op := ___ , Mn and Op undefined). Mathcad gives the error that Mn and Z aren't defined, as expected. Any insights are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't try to fool mother nature. I tried to define roughness over diameter as E/D and never got it to work. I ended up with E_D and wondered why I tried to fight that battle.

There are a lot of valid ways to do it:

Ratio[sub]mn_Op[/sub]
MN_OP
MNdividedByOP

Any of them would work good enough.

David

Oh, for that, you want:
Mn<CTRL><SHFT>k/<CTRL><SHFT>kOp, which will give you a variable name "Mn/Op" but, you'll need to do the same sequence each time, unless you just copy/paste the original entry.

Note, however, if Mn and Op are actually undefined, then you'll still get an error, since Mathcad will not allow you to define a non-function calculation with undefined variables in it.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Well sounds like I'm SOL in this instance. zdas04, any of those would work well enough, but I needed the variable to visually appear like the table headers from which the ratio would be input. IRstuff, thank's for the <ctrl><shft>k trick. Too bad it can't override the undefined variables in the name. Thanks to both for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back