Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEFLECTIONS OF EQUIPMENT SUPPORTING ELEMENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilinga

Civil/Environmental
Apr 9, 2001
US
I have to support an equipment on a structural frame resting on a set of existing roof beams. The lateral deflection of the frame consists of two parts, viz. the lateral deflection of the frame and the additional lateral deflection due to the differential vertical deflections of the supporting beams. I observe that the first part is within the allowable limits while the contribution of the supporting beam deflection causes the total deflection to cross the allowable limits.

Can someone clarify whether I need to modify the existing beam to limit the total deflection.

Thanks
Trilinga

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe deflections are largely mandated for serviceability reasons. If the two structures intract in a way such that the deflection causes a problem for an interfacing item, then you have to consider the addition of the two. If the two components act individually, then you may be able to consider them as separate entities.
Is there a common element between them that would have to absorb the large deflection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back