Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deform spring NX 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyM

Automotive
Feb 9, 2012
NL
Hi, i've been searching for a few threads and didnt really found my answer, ive downloaded a spring from one of those threads and i was comparing it to mine..
i dont really found a big difference except for the assembly constrains, the one i downloaded didnt have any. i found in the one i downloaden it has a strange pink command(it's in the attachment) can soemone tell what this is? is this the key to get a spring in motion in an assembly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you double click on the deformable part icon in the Ant, you will see that you have coupled the measurement in there as length. So it will not change, choose formula, and fill in a value of 50. Now your spring will move without the upper part moving with it. Constrain the upper part to your spring with a touch or align constrain and double click the deformable part icon change it to 100 and voilà the part will move with it.
I've added the new assembly try for yourself.

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3
Win 7 64 bit

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=07e20faa-c330-4cd3-a9f2-c05b427a687c&file=Spring_Micky.zip
i can't open it since its a newer version, thnx though!
but as i can read it isnt really what i was asking, or i asked it wrong:
what i meant was how the spring adjusts when you move the upper part of the assembly? cause that is what im trying to accomplish with my own part and i try to make itself instead of just using this one cause that is no fun, im trying to understand how this works. im making a suspension, so if the tire goes up, the spring needs to adjust to that, so i dont really care if the the 2 pieces outside the spring dont adjust when i change the number, since i dont want to do that.

thnx for the fast reply though! any suggestion how this is made?
i just need an answer to how you can adjust the plates with the spring adjusting to that. i know its something with expressions but i dont understand how he did it in that one.

not really.. thnx for the links and adivse!
could you look at my attachment?
as you can see there, the command from the Define Deformable Part, it uses the value from the Define deformable part.. how is this possible? u cant change the command after its done, so you shouldnt be able to get that value as an expression.. how is this done?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6f537656-4228-49c3-a610-da1a7fa657cf&file=spring_test_Q.jpg
Sorry, too busy reading message body, didn't fully read title. Since I no longer have access to NX6, I'll try to explain this without examples.

There are two ways you can go about using this deformable part in an assembly. You can either drive the assembly with the spring length or have the assembly drive the spring length.

In the first case, start by adding the spring to the assembly and mating it to one of its mating parts in the assembly. Once you finish mating the spring you will be prompted for a length value for the spring, enter the desired value. Then add/mate the part that is connected to the other end of the spring. You will see an entry in the part navigator for the deformable part, change this value and the length of the spring will change, driving the overall assembly.

For the second case, create the assembly using all the parts except the spring. Then use the measure distance function to create an associative distance measurement that reflects the distance between the spring mounting faces. Then add the spring to the assembly and mate it to one of the mating faces plus what ever axial constraint is needed. When you are prompted for the spring length, use the previously created measurement as the value for the spring length. The spring should fit in the space perfectly. When you cycle the assembly, the measurement will update and then the spring length will update also. Note that the update will not happen in real time if you are dragging the assembly components to cycle the assembly, it will update once you click "apply".

haha, no problem!
thnx! i need the second one! i think this helps alot, i'll look after it on monday, thnx alot! you'll hear from me when im done.

i tried a little bit already, but shouldnt i put an expression or some relation between the spring and the distance measurement? cause what u're saying now is that i put that measurement between the faces and when i add the spring with the constrains, i must change the distance between the faces and the spring should change too? if i want that, what i really want! shouldnt i put some variable value into the spring? and that is my problem, as you can see in the attachement from a few hours ago, i cant find the solution in putting the right expressions.. what must i do to get those right expressions

thnx for your information though! i know everyhting now except for that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back