Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deformable Part Help Needed: I built an over length plumbing part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim0914

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2015
US
I built an over length plumbing part that gets fit and trimmed at assembly. I put a datum plane in (the red one in the attached pic) and added a trim feature. The datum is offset from the YZ datum plane of my default datums. Then I do Define Deformable Part and use the datum offset location as my input when added to an assembly. Next I add the part to an assembly, adjust the datum offset position and 3 features fail in the part making the trim fail also: the groove around the orange boss and 2 related blends. I don't understand why. They aren't related to the datum in any way as far as I can tell. Any help will really be appreciated.

Warm Regards ~

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3a7281bc-2745-49f6-a4ae-fbd874fce635&file=Plumbing.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a datum-plane in the center of the orange part...to what is this referenced? If it is connected to the Red datum-plane it will shift as well taking along everything which is referenced to the pink datum-plane...

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Thanks for responding. I attached another picture to show the origin of the datum plane. It is a bisector of 2 faces unrelated to the red datum plane.

On a rather curious note, people have found here that if the rectangular groove feature is removed the deformable part functions fine. If anyone knows why this is so it would be great to know. It seems if I want the groove in the part I will have to sketch and revolve it and hope the deformable part works.

Thanks ~

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=975a2c34-67b9-43a8-aa39-074abfc50bd3&file=Datum_Plane_Reference.PNG
Can you share the part?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Status