Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Degreaser for use with Carbon Fiber Sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_K

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2015
US
Hello,

I'm working on a project where we have a permanent magnet motor/generator...the stator and rotor are components that we integrate into our machine. The rotor is comprised of magnets with a carbon fiber outer sleeve. The vendor has given the following material information to us:

CFRP sleeve: Epoxide resin (Araldite, Hardener and carbon fibers)

The rotor is installed to the mating part using high pressure oil to stretch it, it's moved to the final position, and then the oil is evacuated from between the rotor and the mating part. As we need to clean this after assembly, it's desirable to use a degreaser to get all the oil residue removed.

I have of course sent the question to the vendor, though they are in Switzerland, and it's hit-or-miss as far as when i get a response back. Our shop commonly uses CRC Chlor-Free Degreaser, but looking at this product, i have some reservations about its use around the carbon fiber. I think that Simple Green seems harmless enough, but guys in our shop complain that it leaves a residue.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a degreaser which won't harm the carbon fiber sleeve?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CRC is mainly acetone and naphtha. Acetone will definitely cause swelling of cured epoxy. A short exposure will likely cause little damage but Simple Green or a warm detergent wash would be much safer. A good rinsing with pure water and drying is also required as last steps. If you have any crevices or cavities the only effective way to fully dry is to heat the part to 250F for an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back