Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Delfection Limit for Tile on Wood Framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewheimann

Structural
Jul 15, 2015
US
I am trying to understand what the deflection limit should be for a tile floor. I have typically used L/600 for live load, (mainly because that is what I was told by other engineers), but doing a little research I found a few things.

First, the Masonry Code ACI 530 Limits the dead + Live Deflection to L/600. Are there other codes that specify a L/600 limit?

Second, I found that the " The Tile Council of North America" states a L/360 limit would be acceptable. But they mention that another area of concern is the deflection of the subfloor material spanning between the joists. Their excerpt on the website is shown below.

"Traditionally, the accepted minimum requirement for floor rigidity is L/360 - before the tile underlayment is installed. The L/360 standard means that the floor should not deflect more than the "span" divided by 360. If the span of the joists is 10 feet (between supports), then the deflection should not be more than 1/3" between the center and the end. Frequently, there is misunderstanding regarding deflection between joists. For example, while joist manufacturers regularly meet the standard L/360 criteria for code construction with 24" o.c. (on center) systems, these floors often have deflection between the joists exceeding L/360.

Recent research has shown tile to fail, under some conditions, when the floor is more rigid than L/360. In fact, failures at L/600 have been observed. It is for this reason that recommendations for floor rigidity are not based on deflection measurements but on empirically established methods found to work over normal code construction."

Any insights or suggestions on what limit I should take?

Thanks,
Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

L/600 seems like overkill to me. L/360 is a more standard limit. Deflection is mainly a serviceability concern, not structural. It's meant to keep doors and windows, etc. usable. If the tile floor can handle deflections of L/360 without cracking, then L/360 is fine.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase. -MLK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back