Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaheer567

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2021
ZA
Good evening
Brief outline of the issue that I need some advice on;

I have a plastic extrusion line and have a conveyor system that feeds material into the hopper of the primary extruder. The conveyor is powered by a 1.5 kw motor and controlled via a delta MS3000 series VFD. Around an hour after initial start up while waiting for the heaters to pick up, I was notified that the delta MS3000 series drive had blow. After some inspecting, the one phase on the breaker, connecting drive to motor, seems to have blown and was told that it could have dropped a phase.

1. Could a drop in phase cause the drive to overheat, and eventually blow? Or do these delta drives come with some protection ?

2. Could the blown drive be caused by an underlying issue?

3. I picked up a replacement drive and set it up according to the motor specs etc. When I reconnected it, the motor cooling fan was not running although power was detected at the incoming to the motor cooling fan. Could an overheating of the motor, caused by non-functioning cooling fan, cause a drive to blow?

I'm new to the commissioning of VFD's so any input, advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Zaheer R.
BSc. Eng (Mechanical)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zaheer567 said:
After some inspecting, the one phase on the breaker, connecting drive to motor, seems to have blown and was told that it could have dropped a phase.
If the breaker was BETWEEN the drive and the motor, that would present a problem for the VFD. You should not have anything that will open under load on the output of the VFD, it can damage the transistors, which is what likely happened here.

If a beaker is on the INPUT side and you lost a phase, the VFD has protections inside that would detect that phase loss and the drive would not be damaged. MOST drives however do not have anything that will detect a phase loss on the OUTPUT side, because there shouldn't be anything other than the motor on the output side.

The motor over heating due to a failed fan would not directly affect the VFD, unless the motor windings failed and went to ground.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

@jraef, thank you so much for the response. I will have a look at the wiring today and get back to you as soon as possible on the location of the breakers.

Appreciate it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back