Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deluge system for oil and gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

kald

Petroleum
Feb 26, 2003
US
in a storage tank farm, a bund wall is existent around each storage tank and the distance between tanks is big and enough that mak the radiation from any tank pool fire to the nearest tank is less than 10 kw/m2 , and the storage tank capacity around 10000 BBl crude oil,
Is it mandatory to install a fixed cooling/deluge system around each tank?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found that in IP

The first priority should be to decide whether a water deluge/spray system is needed. Typically, this will require consideration of the local legislative
position as well as fully appraising the risk. The most appropriate method is to carry out a scenario-based evaluation of credible fire incidents. For example, a single small tank, where options exist for rapid deployment of portable fire-fighting equipment may not necessitate the use of such a fixed system. However, a large tank within a bund with minimal separation and significant fire exposure potential might benefit from fixed water-cooling.
One method of determining whether fixed water￾cooling might be required is to make use of validated fire consequence modeling software packages to
determine the extent of radiant heat flux on a given tank or part of an installation. Generally, fixed water-cooling should be considered if the exposed tank, vessel or plant is likely to be exposed to a radiant heat flux in excess of 32 kW/m2 (see section 2.6.2).
Where exposures are likely to be subjected to less than this amount – typically 8 kW/m2 and above – fixed water-cooling may be considered, but may not always
be necessary. Generally, cooling will be required at some stage but this may be provided by mobile means (e.g. with the use of portable water monitors – portable and mobile fire response issues are outlined in section 7.6.1). Cooling water

Kald,

I agree with the above. You seem to come from Egypt so your first duty is to follow the local regulations and codes that it quotes, often NFPA.

Then do a study showing what the actual figures are and make a judgement from there. How much water do you have? Can you do this with fixed monitors? Then you probably need to get this approved by the relevant authorities.

It does sound like a low heat flux so you may not need a fixed system.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

kald ....For example said:
may not necessitate[/u] the use of such a fixed system. However, a large tank within a bund with minimal separation and significant fire exposure potential might benefit from fixed water-cooling.]

If the storage tank capacity is 10000 BBl crude oil ( that is around , 1590 cu-m ) yes .. it is not a mega tank.. Just curious, did you see any crude oil tank when it gets fire ? I would like to remind that when the fire builds up,it is almost impossible to approach and fight with portable fire fighting ( with hose , water cannon..).

More than 20 yrs ago, i have seen the following tank farm ( post earthquake fire ) ..Notice that the tanks lossed the integrity and all of them collapsed.

post_eq_fire_crude_oile_tanks_kyvash.jpg

I have the idea that, the crude oil storage tanks should be provided with fixed cooling water system regardless the tank is single or a group of tanks..
IMO, when God wishes to terrify the humans , he shake up with strong EQ or sends lightning down to earth, and targets oil storage tanks..

Say my opinion..

HTURKAK (Structural) said:
I have the idea that, the crude oil storage tanks should be provided with fixed cooling water system regardless the tank is single or a group of tanks..
actually the fixed cooling water system is only to protect the vessels from radiation and not for fire fighting , so if the distance between the vessel is very high and fire radiation does not affect the adjacent vessels structure, So we can depend on engineering judgment to evaluate the importance of installing fixed cooling water system depending on the other Existing detection and protection system.

The key issue usually is how much water do you have?

Tank fires can go on for days or weeks. Most fire procedures for a large scale fire is to le tit burn itself out unless you've got a lot of foam available and the product isn't too volatile.

I am sorry but i disagree with you.. the fixed cooling water system is to protect the other tanks and vessels from radiation plus cooling of the tank under fire...The crude oil tank fire is totally different story.. when the fire builds up if without fixed cooling water system, you have one option.. keep far away, and abondone the tank..I have provided the picture at my previous post to draw attention ..

My opinion..

Key issue is whether the fir is inside the tank or in the bund around it....

But yes, if inside then you need to try and stop it escalating by having the tank collapse if you can't cool it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back