Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

demagnetization of steel pipes ??????/

Status
Not open for further replies.

albanbulku

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2013
AL
Does the demagnetization process should be performed by the manufacturer of the steel pipes?
Is this process important for the welding procedure or the welds can be made without passing this procedure.

BEST REGARDS...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have currently problems with magnetization?
It sounds like you're trying to come up with solutions for things that typically aren't a problem.

Please describe your problem better, so that we actually might give meaningful answers, instead of stabbing in the dark.

When reading your other topic, , it seems your company really needs a welding engineer or someone with equivalent experience.

Quite often the magnetisation occurs during transport or storage and therefore the supplier is normally blameless.

Magnetisation can occur and does have an impact on weldability as the arc can veer away from one weld face to the other. I've seen welders wrap their power leads round the pipe in the past to act as a de-magnetisation input, but for more severe actions, you would need to bring in de-gausing equipment. For new pipes it's fairly rare, but for tie-in to existing pipe is more common, especically when the pipe has been internally inspected by magnetic flux leakage intelligent tools.

As king nero says, is this an actual problem or are you just trying to get procedures in place to deal with a potential problem?

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Thanks for your reply but your answer didn't helped me mate.
Is the first time that we are working for a pipeline.
I am just trying to get any helpful answer anyway thanks for your time.

There's a bit more to it than can be said in a single post, especially when we have no clue exactly what problem you're trying to solve, mate.
Here's an answer that should solve all of your magnetization problems: use AC welding equipment. Mind though, this might introduce some problems on a whole new level.

Thanks mates.

I am trying to take into consideration any potential problem that may occur during the work process.
Because of my Inexperience in the pipelines i am trying to clear my doubts about this work.
Anyway i have found some information that the pipes in most cases are checked and demagnetized by the manufacturers for preventing the arc blow because the arc blow may cause the weld arc disorientation or filler metal to be repelled from the weld.

Best regards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back