Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

demonstration vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

REGRUMBLE

Structural
Jan 28, 2003
CA
I work for certified shop that does not currently have a code vessel in production so we need to build a demonstartion vessel for our code review. I know all the calculations and everything needs to be done up to the point of the code review but when the review is over do we need to complete, test and stamp the demo or can we just cancel the order and chuck it in the garbage. We have no use for the demo after the review so completing it seems like a waste of time and money. We have only been certified for three years so this is our first review. The vessel we made for our initial certification is still sitting here so making another one seems silly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I asked if we could use the same one and just cut it apart then weld it back together for the demonstration and the AI said we could not do that.

We have had the same issues. In the past we used the same vessel. This past review required additional welding to be performed on the previous demonstration vessel. Next renewal, unless ASME changes its current requirements, we will build a new demonstration vessel.

REGRUMBLE; You don't need to complete a demo vessel after the Joint Review. If you didn't complete the previous one, you could still use that one and just purchase materials for whats remaining and continue after updating the drawings and calc's to current Code.

I have always found it easier to just update the design package, purchase new materials and build a new vessel. The demo is usually a small vessel, so material costs would be minimal. You also dont need to purchase all the materials, only enough to take you half way thruogh the demo until the point of the Joint Review.

The purpose of the demo is to demonstrate all the sections of your QC Manual, check out the ASME check list, it tells you all you need to know about the requirements for the demo item.

Interesting. We usually pick a few production vessels that demonstrate our full range of skills. Most of them end up in customer's hands after the show. I take it this is not common practice?

trottiey,
For those companies that manufacture vessels infrequently, the demonstration vessel is used when the Joint Review date occurs at a time when vessels are not being fabricated.

trottiey,
A demo vessel would only be allowed if you have no Code work in progress, otherwise you have to use actual Code work as the demonstration.

Yes, then purchase and receive the new nozzle, fit-up and tack inplace, do any required examinations and then stop so you have some welding to do during the Joint Review, which would demonstrate those parts of the manual.

As long as you are able to demonstrate all parts of the QC manual using the old vessel you should be ok.

Talk to your AI, he/she should be able to guide you along.

One addition to bcguy's recommendation. Add two nozz's; one to leave at the fit-up and tack stage, and one with at least a root in it. One of these two needs to be big enough that it requires an Alteration-type calc. Also, weld out a previous nozz that was left unfinished on the old Demo Vessel.

Make sure that the 2 new nozz's are reflected on the revised calc's and dwg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back