Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of Air vs. Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

shup0739

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hello all,

It seems like Air data is a bit difficult to get a grab of. While I have been able to find a great deal of information on the change in desity due to changes in temperature I have been unsuccessfull in finding data on the Pressure vs. Density of Air.

can anyone suggest a reliable source out there that I may be able to get my hands on.

thank you,

sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Difficult to find air data? Anyway, unless pressure is very very high, density is proportional to absolute pressure, and inversely proportional to absolute temperature.

The Beattie-Bridgman equation relates Pressure, Temperature and density for a number of gases. Any reasonably good Thermodynamics text will have the equation.

Sam,

There is a function in the free program called Uconeer that calculates air density as a function of temperature and pressure.

Download from In the program click on the fan icon on the toolbar to call up the gas mass to volumetric flowrate converter. Select air as the gas, enter your temp and press and it gives the density. Accuracy should be fine for normal plant calculations.

regards
Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back