Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of lead sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.

keekooceeaou

Chemical
Dec 20, 2005
PL
Hi,

Assuming that there is constant inlet of water containing Pb particles into settling tank, water on the outlet is clear (all Pb particles remain in tank), and there is no slurry outlet, I need to estimate volume of lead slurry on the bottom, after certain amount of time.

For that I need to calculate or estimate density of lead (Pb) slurry on the bottom of settling tank.

Is that possible?

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, well, if the lead is settling out and you don't have a continuous and regulated underflow, it isn't a density meter you need but a level sensor that will monitor the lead deposit interface with the slurry above it.

I presume that you will periodically open the sludge drain and allow it to flow out of the bottom.
In that case, you can monitor the slurry in the underflow and close the drain valve when the density drops to that of the incoming slurry and automatically open the valve on a timer.

Alternatively, assuming a clean tank start, a volume flow meter on the inlet flow and a density meter in the inlet flow recording %mass or % volume of lead particles, you should be able to run a mass or volume total for the lead and alarm when it reaches a pre-set amount.

JMW

You can't estimated the slurry density without having some idea of the particle size and shape- if you did you could do a theoretical calculation but your better off getting a sample of the material and allowing it to settle in a cylinder and then measuring the density. Are you in a position to do that or is this purely a design/paper exercise at this stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back