Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of Liquid Propane at -50C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donkin

Petroleum
Jul 28, 2003
GB
I have liquid propane at -50C and need to know the density, I found two sources which state density of Propane at -50C as 588 and 301 Kg/m3 which is correct?

Also need density of Liquid Butane at -5C. Both stored in atmospheric storage tanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you don't state pressures (although liquid densities don't vary much with pressure) I assume you refer to liquids under their own vapor pressures. The readings I got from the NIST webbook were:

for C[sub]3[/sub]: 589.9 kg/m[sup]3[/sup] at 0.7 bara
for C[sub]4[/sub]: 606.1 kg/m[sup]3[/sup] at 0.85 bara

From my table @T=-50dF we get Ps=12.6,vl=.02732 cu.ft./lbm from which dl=36.60lbm/cu.ft.=586.27kg/cu.m. at the saturation liquid line; therefore for pure propane 588 is your answer. The 301 value is somewhere in the saturated vapor region if that value is based at the T and P values shown in the opening of the paragraph. For commercial propane, I have no information.

Is propane stored as a liquid? Acetylene is in a dense metal grid within the tanks, but I don't know if propane is actually liquid in the pressurized tanks or not. Theoretical density would not matter if the tank itself is not "hollow" but filled with a compound like the acetylene tanks are.

Yes, propane is stored as a liquid. Acetylene is not stable in pure form, that's why it is stored as it is. Propane is stable.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back