Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselJunky

Marine/Ocean
Mar 22, 2004
NL
Hello,

Maybe someone could tell me the avarage coefficient of cubical expansion of heavy marine fuel oils in the range of IFO 180cSt to 380 cSt.
I've ever heard of a number of 0.0009/degr C, but is this right?

Bart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my notes it would be considered a bit on the high side, these call for a value of 0.00065-0.0007/[sup]o[/sup]C dropping slowly at higher temperatures.

Just use the same API expansion as for any oil.

You can obtain nicely worked calculators from companies such as Shell Marine Fuels, Exxon Mobil Marine Fuels, DNVPS and others that allow you to calculate the density and viscosity at any other temperature.

With heavy fuel oils there are three or four important temperatures.
15degC for the quality check against reference. Density is a related to the energy content.
98degC is the temperature at which the fuel cenrifuges operate so it's nice to know if the centrifuges will work and have the appropriate discs.
And the density at the bunker transfer temperature ... bunker fuel is measured by volume and sold by mass. You need the density to correct the meter readings. Can't thnk of a fourth at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back