Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Density of solutions of dissolved solids (NaCN, Lime, SMBS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2005
AU
Hi guys, I need a way to detirmine the density of a solution in which I have dissolved solids to a certain w/w concentration- be they Sodium cyanide, Lime (hydrated), and Sodium metabisulphite (SMBS).

Where would I look for this information?

Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if you would find what you are looking for in a literature search. I would recommend something like an helium/air pycnometer

It depends where you're coming from. I assume you want to take a sample from an already made-up solution and check the % dissolved solids. If you do not have the info, there is a way to do this yourself. Use e.g. a 250 ml measuring flask. Weigh it empty and dry. Weigh off a mass of salt, e.g 50 gram and add to measuring flask. Add water to dissolve salt and top up meniscus to the mark. Calculate the RD of solution at the % solids. Repeat for at least 2 more masses of salt. , e.g 100 g and 150 g to cover the span of normal concentration. Now you have a calibration curve. When taking a sample of unknown % dissolved solids use measuring flask to determine RD using a scale and read off % dissolved solids from calibration curve. QED

Ummm, no, perhaps you have missunderstood me.

I want to know what the density of a (for example) solution of 20 w/w% SMBS will be so that I can calculate what volume x many tons of it will occupy. I do not have access to experimental apparatus- and I know it is a straight forward matter to figure it out experimentally, but that doesn't help me sitting at my desk.

Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back