Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Depth of 33Kv XLPE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jncza

Electrical
Apr 12, 2004
UG
We have to re-route a 33KV XLPE cable.Can anybody tell me what the required depth must be for the cable to cross under a road.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where have you looked before posting a question here? 33kV does not sound like USA voltage. But it is all spelled out in NEC. I am sure its in codes for your area.

We normally laid 33kV cables at 1.2m below ground level. As for the road crossing, I believe the same rule applies with additional reinforement required, e.g. GI pipe or concrete reinforement to withstand the running vehicles weight.

If this project is in the US, a typical burial depth may be as low as 24 inches (~600 mm) or 36 inches (~900mm).

[sub][blue]Beware that the new line may interfere with existing utility such as water, sewer line, cable TV, phone, power lines, etc. Therefore, it is always advisable to check with the local utility, the Department of Transportation (DOT), The Town or municipality Eng Department and any other agency with jurisdiction.[/blue][/sub]

Enclose is data from different sources that may be useful as starting point to determine the depth under the road.

Cable-Burial_Depth1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back