deresonating baffle, vibration, condenser, detuning baffle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortezanazari

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2019
IR
Dear friends,

I am designing a horizontal shell and tube condenser with ASPEN EDR which is required to include a Deresonating baffle in the condenser to avoid acoustic vibration. However, I do not know how to calculate the dimensions (thickness , length and width) and how these kind of baffle should be installed in the condenser ( Does deresonating baffle cover the entire length of the condenser? Or How about vertical direction?

I would be very grateful If anyone can help me with these question and introduce resources for the method of calculation and installation of deresonating baffle inside condenser.

Best regards,
Morteza

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you are interested in this baffle to guard against destructive tube vibration in the bundle.

There is a research paper methodology for deresonating baffle design here:

However, of the STHE condensers that I have been involved with, all have been designed in accordance with the tried and true TEMA Standards.

TEMA Section 5.0 requires a calculation of maximum tube span (based on worst case process conditions) to mitigate possible flow induced vibration. The suggested HX baffle construction is controlled by this calculated maximum span.

More good information on Condensers and tube vibration here:

Tell us more about the specifics of your HX.... materials, tube sizes, velocities and spans... Can you post some drawings ?

In the immortal words of EdStainless ....More OP information is always better ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

And watch what method you use for tube stiffness. The HEI has condenser design guides that go into a lot of detail.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The concept of a deresonating baffle is to reduce the frequency of the standing wave inside the heat exchanger shell in order to make it out-of-sync with the shell's natural frequency. It's common to see a single baffle installed down the length of the shell perpendicular to the crossflow, just slightly offset from the centerline (around 45% of the ID or so). I think in one of their webinars HTRI suggested installing a deresonating baffle at 45% and another at 18%.

If it were a gas you'd need the baffle to run the entire length of the exchanger. Not sure if that's actually required in condensing service though.

-Christine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back