Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desal Pilot Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

longbow75

Chemical
Aug 22, 2006
US
Hi,
We have a desal pilot plant in place. It has a UF train and a RO train. We're having trouble preparing a well defined test plan. Neither me nor my boss has a lot piloting experience. Can you recommend me a good source of information, preferably a book, regarding preparing this test plan, which should include test matrix, data to be collected (freq, location etc.), defining design criteria for each process etc.
I realized that I'm way out of my league here.
I'd appreciate any comments.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pilot plant is merely a scaled-down simulator. You are ultimately testing the performance of the RO and/or UF device under your particular circumstances. So, you should start with the operating and performance specifications supplied to you by the manufacturer of the particular RO and/or UF device that you are testing. Set up a routine monitoring protocol for each of the manufacturer's key operating or performance variables. These will typically involved the feed water chemistry, pressures, temperatures, concentrate and solute chemistry, flow rates, pressure differentials, flux rates, etc. The frequency of monitoring and testing will depend on the various rates of change. Things that change rapidly need more frequent monitoring than more stable and consistent performers.

S. Bush

You could ask a membrane consultant. I know that Separation Processes inc, of Carlsbad CA ( has had a lot of experience piloting all types of membrane treatment (MF/UF/NF and RO). Pilot testing point of contact:

Eric Owens
Separation Processes, Inc
eowens@spi-engineering.com

You don't mention what kind of memrane you are using. Every manufacturer should have their manual also. If it's ceramic membrane pilot plant, I can give you one. some more information and pictures may be more helpful.
William Lee
cnwilliamlee@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back