Desalter Operations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thiru4vino

Chemical
Jun 25, 2002
KW
Dear Friends!
I would like to know any alternative arrangement/mechanism to find the levels of emulsion, water and crude in a desalter rather with the old practice of using try-cocks. If any body practise such systems or aware of, pls throw some light over here...
advance thanx for your participation...

bfn
cheers
atm_chill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agar has a probe that detects the emulsion layer based (if my memory serves me right) on microwave adsorption. We were going to install one at a facility but costs cancelled.

The technology looked very interesting in my opinion.

The agar probes are good for small amounts of water in oil. I know one refiner that tried to control the brine water run down with very little sucess but liked the upper and mid desalter probes.

Synetix services has a device that they use for off shore seperator vessels that is interesting. Its actually two tubes, one a source, and the other a detector. It gives a full and acurate density gradient for the whole range from mud to light hydrocarbon. This differs from the float and agar systems in that they only detect density at the specific sensor point. The synetix system gives a real time density at all levels.

Synetix was bought by Johnson Matthey so I don't know if the services group is with JM or still with ICI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back