Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Description Value not updating - creating BOM nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid7

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2005
US
We have a BOM that feeds from several fields in the Part properties. One of these is the 'Description'.

For some reason, it will populate the original value - but any updates are 100% ineffective. A programmatic messagebox (msgbox) returns the incorrect value - even though the actual displayed value is correct. No matter how many times I try to change it, clean the part, etc, etc, etc, this value seems determined to stay.

So, the question is... How can I programmatically force an update to (hopefully) break this curse?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does not work...

As a test, I deleted all knowledge, parameters, and even part geometry. Basically, a bare part. Then, I manually changed the Description field. But when I return a message box from DescriptionRef, it still has the incorrect value - even when the field is now blank.

1. Is this a new part you've tried on?
2. Is it saved after changing the Description?
3. Is there a PDM involved hooked with the Description?
4. Are you using cache?
5. Could you post a piece of code/picture?

No cache, no PDM. This is an old part that this happened on sometime recently. (seems like it happened just after going to R26)

There is no picture to post. Description field under part properties. It says what it's supposed to say, but when we insert a msgbox and return the value, it's something completely different. Not to be short with you, but you're not going to gain any further perspective on it, even if I were to post a picture.

are you looking at Ref description OR Instance description ??? They are not the same....

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I am absolutely positively certain that I am looking at the DescriptionRef, and not DescriptionInst. More than I'm sure that I actually exist and am typing this...

ferdo - every possible DUA and programmatic clean that we have at our disposal, has been done. It's been elevated to applications engineers, and looks to be headed for APAR.

But I can't give up hope that some clever fella will have a magic bullet solution...

Do you have the same problem with a new part or only with those old parts?

What about posting a sample part here? There are multiple clever users around here with different levels of V5 that could try it out [3eyes]

Sorry, but it's a proprietary part.

We've seen the problem sporadically with other parts, but I only have our start parts as an example.

remove the content of the part... if you still have the bad behaviour maybe you can post the (empty) part, if not then you know it is somewhere on what you erased and you can find what the problem is.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I ran into this exact problem recently designing for one of our customers.
When I used their proprietary software to export the BOM, it did not read the text that was typed into the Description field.

Here is the thread I started to attempt to fix the issue.

It has something to do with knowledge stored in the part.
Someone at the my customers company ended up figuring it out, but would not share their program they wrote to fix the issue.

If you figure it out, I would love to know how to solve this as well.

The best advice they gave me was to recreate the part from scratch and replace the bad part.

jzecha - That wouldn't by chance have been Paste, would it?

If so, do you have a contact?

Re-creating the part only fixes the future. I have to fix the present and the past. LOL.

Is it a version specific problem?

Haha Yup it is PASTE...
One of the best software packages I have used, just wish i could get it and implement it at my company.

Since I do not work for the company, I do not want to give out the individuals name on a public board.
If you post your email, I can send them an email with you on it to put you two in contact. (If you work for their company)
Once I send the email, you can delete it from the post.

I was working in R25 at the time, I imagine the problem exists in every version.
It seemed to be a problem that arose from starter parts that are built with adjustable parameters.
When I was asked to run those parts through PASTE, I had to delete the parameter that auto filled the Description field so I could fill out the Description field per customer requirements.
And that is when the problem started, it was not consistent every time i deleted the parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back