Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deselecting one edge of multiple edge blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdp240

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2005
US
I'm using NX5.0.4.1, and since I've migrated up from NX3, I can no longer deselect just one edge of a previously created blend in which I had selected multiple edges.

For example, I created a blend and selected 5 different edges (none of them tangent to each other or connected to each other, all independent edges of the same solid). Later on, I want to modify the blend by deselecting 1 of the 5 edges, but when I hold down the shift key and select the 1 edge I want to "unblend", it deselects all 5 edges, leaving me with no choice but to reselect the other 4 edges.

In this example it's not that big of a deal, but I sometimes have 10+ edges selected in a single blend, and it becomes a real pain to do this.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If in NX 5.0 you truly only selected one edge at a time when creating a blend on multiple edges of a solid, you should have no problems de-selecting the edges one at a time when editing the blend, that same as you were able to do in NX 3.0.

Now that being said, there is one thing to remember, if you had set the Selection Intent to say Tangent Edges and there were no tangent edges when you selected the edges, it will behave, at least at that moment, as if they were selected with the Selection Intent set to 'Single Curve', but the model will remember that it WAS looking for tangent edges, just that it never found any, however, if the model had been changed and perhaps other feature reordered such that during a model update, the system did suddenly find a set of tangent edges containing at least one of the original 'individually' selected curves, this set of tangent edges will now behave as tangent edges when you later attempt to deselect only one of them. This is why it's called 'Selection Intent' since the 'intent' is retained and will come into play if the conditions of the model changes so that they are now able to be fulfilled, even if originally they were unable to recognize a tangent edge condition.

Anyway, under normal circumstances it should work as you expect, but there is at least exception as described above which you may wish to look for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, as a test I created a blend with multiple (yet independent, nontangent) edges first with "Tangent Edges", and then again elsewhere with "Single Edges". When modifying the "Tangent Edges" blend, deselecting one deselected them all, even thought the edges were on totally different areas of the solid and not tangent nor connected. When modifying the "Single Edges" blend, deselecting one only deselected the one I wanted. The rest remained.

This is good to know going forward, but it will still be a problem when I create blends with multiple chains of tangent edges.

Thanks for the input.

WinXP-SP3 / NX5.0.4.1 MP6 / Catia V5r18 / NX I-deas 5.3.0.14

Note that I performed my tests on NX 5.0.6.3, NX 6.0.4.1, NX 7.0.0.8 and NX 7.5.0.18 and in ALL cases de-selecting a blended edge behaved as you have indicated that you would like it to, if the curve was NOT a member of some tangent set of curves, despite the fact that the original selection intent was set to 'Tangent Curves'. Of course, if you had created the Edge Blends using the 'Single Curve' it will ALWAYS de-select as a single curve.

What this says is that perhaps this was problem which has been fixed in a later version of NX 5.0. Now I should have checked NX 5.0.4.1 while I was still in the office earlier today, but now that I'm at home, running an archive version over the net is really sloooooow.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, I checked the GTAC Solutions database after reading NXConsultants' post, and the open issue there states that it appears to have been fixed in NX 5.0.6.3. Unfortunately, since I'm at the mercy GM, I'm stuck at NX 5.0.4.1. I'll just have to force myself to use the "Single Edges" selection intent whenever possible instead of always defaulting to "Tangent Edges".

WinXP-SP3 / NX5.0.4.1 MP6 / Catia V5r18 / NX I-deas 5.3.0.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back