Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

design a step wall footing

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdallah hamdan

Structural
Oct 13, 2021
PS
During the excavation process for a new building consisting of 6 floors, a footing was found at a level other than all the bases due to the presence of swollen soil that was removed under it, the rock layer has been reached.

the footing for the retaining wall that connects two separate footings is now between two levels. about an 80 cm difference, I'm thinking about making a stepped/sloped footing and saw some details, is there any attachment to design stepped footing or any requirements, or any other suggestions?

thank you for your help

the situation
1_v4pgkg.png

footing I want to make

1_eep8j5.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do the walls need to be connected in order to be stable and adequate? If they are stable as separate walls, I would not connect them together; you'll be creating potential failure points unnecessarily.

If you do connect them together, especially with a connection that can carry moment, you'll have quite a bit of analysis ahead of you to quantify the forces on the connections, the new forces on the footings, and the forces on your new piece.

Analyzing pinned connections would simplify it, but you'd need to construct it in such a way that it approximates a pinned condition, which means incorporating hinges. With a pinned connection, it would only really help with resistance to sliding, though, and may make it worse for other aspects of the design forces. If the wall can't slide, at least a little bit, the walls could be subjected to at-rest earth pressure, instead of the typical active pressure condition.

By "retaining wall", you actually mean a basement wall that would be laterally supported at its top, correct? If so, most firms have a typical detail for this that somewhat acknowledges the desire to have the longitudinal footing reinforcement be flexural continuous across the step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back