Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Basis for Industrial Air Change Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

STYMIEDPIPER

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2006
US
Excluding ventilation required for heat load removal and/or contaminant levels various HVAC catalogs (ie Loren Cook, Greenheck,etc) list recommended air change rates for various commercial and industrial facilities.

Of particular interest is the industrial facilities.

What is the design basis to derive the recommended air change rates??

My outdated copy of the "Industrial Ventilation - A Manual of Recommended Practice" does not list suggested air change rates.
The "Steel Mill Ventilation" book (published 1965)appears to be the predecessor to the "Industrial Ventilation" book and does not list recommended air change rates.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

satchmo
Thanks for looking
As I had stated previously, the chart that you referenced is commonly available. I would like to know how that number was derived.
I have a client whom insists on air change rate significantly lowered than that published on the recommended frequency charts.
Does anyone know if this topic is covered by the IBC??

I have an old McGraw-Hill Engineering Manual that lists various ventilation rates, which appear to be from ASHRAE of the period. Among other interesting things, it lists different rates for "normal" schools, and schools for "children of lower socio-economic status". There is some commentary to indicate that removal of body odors is the basis. I wouldn't doubt that the industrial rates you note assume that physical exertion is required in these settings, and bump the rates accordingly. Deodorant wasn't common until the 60's. Ah, the good old days!

I/ve used 1.5 CFM/SF in the past, soem local code amendments have half the requirements (MN is one of them at .75 CFM/SF).
I'd go around it this way:

The IMC 2006 allows for an engineered ventilation system, which means that you can provide the high rate for the code reviewer and still satisfy your client by installing combination CO/NO2 sensors or other IAQ sensors for other gases to override the Ventilation system to swicth to the high rate, set the rate as low as possible (even below your client's requirements) any time the IAQ sensor detects limits below OSHA acceptable Threshold Limit values.

In addition to maintaining indoor air quality, depending on the used of the facility the ventilation design could be driven by the heat gains and maintaining acceptable internal conditions.

I went to a baggage handling facility where internal temperatures were fine with about 4ACH ventilation on a 32oC day and and the prime concern there was creating air movement by installing numerous fans around the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back