Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design factor of safety as per ASME

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy1385

Mechanical
May 4, 2015
GB
Hi,
Can anyone guide me on factor of safety for Design that ASME codes advise us to use for Tensile & shear stress.
To be specific I need info for Shaft / Screw design.
As a rule of thumb we use 0.6 for tensile & 0.4 for shear stress, but are there any specific clauses in ASME codes that adresses it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shafts certainly are not static structures, so I have never applied typical structural stress limits and design factors to them. For example, an agitated vessel could easily use ASME codes to design the vessel, but those methods have no relevance to designing the rotating agitator shaft. (Agitator shafts are a fatigue-loaded component)

Screws: do you mean a lead screw or a screw fastener?

Thanks Geesamand,
This is required for valves stem design actually, so I am looking for what safety factors I can apply to the Yield & Ultimate strength values to get allowable for Tensile & shear.

paddy1385,

This is not really a question about bearings, is it? Perhaps you should post this in forum404, and then red-flag this one;

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back