Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design fee for a repetitive solar panel assembly (structural)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcr07

Structural
Aug 20, 2012
US
Fellow engineers:

I was approached by a current solar panel client with the following proposal.
Currently, my client purchases pre-manufactured solar panel steel assemblies which he installs on residential projects.
I've been his structural engineer in reviewing his proposal plans and verifying structural compliance of these systems in existing structures.
He wants to manufacture his own assembly and would like me verify this structural integrity (provide test criteria, and stamp and signed the final product). His estimates are that by manufacturing these assemblies himself, he can save about 20% in cost.
However, this product will be used repetitively for all his installations. And I'm a little lost in term of what would be an adequate fee for something of this nature.
Should a one time design fee and a % of it as a royalty be the best way to approach it?
I've done work with and without professional liability insurance. In this case, i believe professional liability becomes a big factor.
I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back