Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design for splitting a light steel floor truss in two

Status
Not open for further replies.

rad_val

Civil/Environmental
Jun 3, 2024
PT
I'm working on a renovation project that has access limitations (aka, up in the mountains, no heavy truck can reach it). I've successfully managed to come up with a design for the roof trusses that allows the 6m (20 feet) span to be covered by two Howe half trusses fixed back to back. All good. Now I'm trying to come up with a solid design for the floor. The span is the same, 6m (20 feet), but this time I can't take advantage of the shape. The material is cold formed steel C100, 1.5mm thick. I would like to know what options would I have to split the distance in two (3m + 3m) while keeping the truss, Howe as well, ~25 cm (~10 inches) high, structurally sound. Also, is there a code limitation on this (in your country)? Am I forced to use one full length profile for the top and bottom chord?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need a sketch or two. It's not clear to me what splitting a truss means, etc.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I've never heard of a code limitation requiring full length chords. Splices in truss chords happen commonly for different reasons. Of course, the splice connection needs to be adequate, which is difficult in some materials but cold formed steel can be relatively straightforward, especially if you can weld on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back